Thursday, August 28, 2008

2 More Stripes and Many Miles

The kata review in Karate last night went well, even though I was tired and nervous so didn't perform at my best. Anyway, Sensei said I've come a long way, thanked me for my patience, and gave me two more stripes. Yay! I'm only two stripes away from being a black belt in a second art, which is a scary thought.

Been putting in long runs this week in preparation for the half-marathon. I've been plagued by sore hamstrings for two weeks now, which is frustrating. As I told Dr. Z, running through sore muscles is tiring, painful, and just plain not fun. Anyway, I've been able to fight through it for the most part with some decent times. Monday I ran 6 miles at an 8:20 pace despite doing a spectacular faceplant (I am SO graceful) and today I ran 7 miles at an 8:17 pace. I was hoping more for an 8:10 pace with the cool, dry weather, but the sore muscles just weren't having it.

So onward with the Advil, lots of protein, and cold baths to help my hamstrings heel. Feel free to drop a line if you have any other tricks for quicker recovery.

2 comments:

Amnesialist said...

Congrats on the stripes! No advice, just commiseration: my hamstrings and I are not friends.

Veronica B. said...

Thanks! And...oh do I feel you on that. I'll let you know if I come up with something that works.