Monday, February 09, 2009

Busy Weekend!

Friday I went for a two-mile jog to stretch my legs before the Fun Run. I oh so brilliantly forgot my watch, but that was probably a good thing because it forced me to rely on my PRE instead of trying to beat the clock. (Which kind of misses the whole point of a light workout the day before a race.)

Saturday was the Fun Run. Although the forecast called for temperatures approaching forty, it was TEN FRICKIN' DEGREES out. Nonetheless, about 25 intrepid runners showed up to race. Yes, we're all nuts. I nearly died when I found out that we were doing the HillyMan route. (For those not in the know, it's called the HillyMan because it's a four-mile loop with three hills out, a HUGE LONG loop of a hill you run up and back down, and then those same three rolling hills coming back.) It was truly a brutal choice for an off-season run.

I started out totally bundled because I was freezing. Check it:









Luckily not only did it warm up fifteen degrees during the race, Dr. Z was there to take my parka when I finally warmed up. I crossed the line at 36:10 as 9th runner in, 3rd overall and first in my age group. Yay!





I was sore on Sunday(of course), but I went snowshoeing with JewishMom to stretch out and warmup the muscles a bit instead of going for a recovery run. It was absolutely beautiful out - thirties and sunny.

Today I went to the gym and just did the treadmill. I'm trying to build endurance, so I did a "long" run of 4.5 miles. I started at a 8:41 pace and dropped it to a 8:56 after a couple miles. Next Monday or so I'll lengthen it to five miles. I decided that that was enough of a workout, especially with Karate tonight, so I left the weight work for tomorrow.

No comments: