Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Freihofers! And JOAN BENOIT-SAMUELSON!!!!

Well, Freihofer's was INSANE. 500 more people showed up than last year for a total of over 3600. (Over 4000 people actually registered.) Here's a picture so that you can see what 3600 runners trying to fit on one standard two-lane street looks like. I literally walked the first half mile and jogged the second half mile. (My one mile split was 9:30, including the minute it took me to cross the start line.)



I finished in 24:45 according to my watch, which means that my last two splits were around 7:42 - Not bad at all for this time of year. Still not as good as last year, but I seriously think the additional runners had something to do with it, because although my official time was worse, as was my placement, I finished slightly higher percentage-wise - 14.6%.

So, I was so-so in my happiness. That goal of top 10% still eludes me. Dr. Z was laughing because I was already coming up with strategy for next year while COOLING DOWN.

Anyway, the most exciting part of the day was MEETING JOAN BENOIT-SAMUELSON. That's right, bitches! She did a signing in the health expo. She autographed a picture of herself winning Boston with "To Veronica: Run in good health for many miles to come. Joan Benoit-Samuelson." Needless to say, it's already framed and hung.

The woman is incredible. 52 years old and she finished well under 18 minutes. Yes, that's right. She's almost old enough for AARP and her 5K pace is sub-6:00. She came in 25th overall, pretty much beaten by only the 20-and-30-something elites.

Here's a pic - don't mind the stars in my eyes:



Anyway, it was an okay race, but I'm hoping to do better next year.

No comments: