Thursday, June 04, 2009

Prep for the Mountaineer's Trail Race

The first Sundowner time trial (kind of the paddling equivalent of a Fun Run) went okay. I wasn't happy with our placement (last, although we WERE paddling against serious hardcores) or our time (not as good as last year, but it's still early in the season). Hopefully we'll get faster as the season goes on. We always do. We're still trying to figure out the best way to do buoy turns in the longer boat.

Yesterday was a rest day from running and paddling. As it turns out, good thing because the Sundowner really torqued my SI joint out of place. As it was, the black belts spent most of the class watching the kyu belts perform their kata as if it was a tournament and I ended up having to sit because the standing in one place was KILLING my back. On a positive note, a few old students I hadn't seen in ages showed up, which was very cool. Also, the black belts got to work on Toye No Sai for the last twenty minutes of class. I managed through it with my back, but just barely.

Today's tempo run went okay. I started from my usual spot, ran up Colden Ave, around the lake and back down. It's about 3.5 miles (guesstimate) and it took 28:29. In retrospect, I actually held back a little I think. I am REALLY feeling the improvement from doing the hillwork. My legs are nice and strong again. I'm feeling ready for Baxter Mountain, which is good since it's only a little over two weeks away.

Tonight will be a four mile paddle around Kiwassa. Dr. Z. and I were originally planning something longer, but we paddled hard on Tuesday and have the Tupper Lake 9-Miler on Saturday.

Tomorrow will be an easy day, with four miles easy and Karate with Dr. Z. Also, a trip to the chiropractor. I was originally going in for a knot in my back that's affecting my stride AND my paddling form, but may have to have the SI joint taken care of instead and come back for the knot later. We'll see.

No comments: